My husband and I love Mexican food. We usually go out to eat it probably once a week then I fix some version of Southwest or Mexican another 2-3 times a week.
I did a survey on Facebook last week asking what is the favorite- Pizza or Mexican. Mexican won by a landslide. Earlier this week, I gave you a healthier alternative to pizza with my Healthy Pizza full of veggies and NO carbs! Now I want to share with you one of my favorite quick Mexican dishes.
I typically cook most of my meals for the week on Sundays. Some weeks I have more time than others. On the weeks when I don’t have quite as much time, I will cook a bunch of grilled chicken then heat it up and add to it later in the week. This week, I knew I wanted tacos so I fixed ground turkey taco meat. Last night I wanted chicken too! So I diced some of the pre-cooked grilled chicken, warmed in pan and added taco sauce and spices and you would have never known that it was just plain ole chicken a few minutes before!
I also LOVE fresh guacamole! Several years ago, I went to New York with a friend and we wandered into Dos Caminos Mexican Cantina. I had never had guacamole before then but I fell in love with it. They had magnetic recipes that you could take home and I have been making a version of that recipe since! My husband and I went to New York on vacation in May, so we just had to go by Dos Caminos and get more guacamole! Now I will say that my food is no where near as fancy as theirs, but it is good, clean, and home cooked!
Misty’s Tacos with Fresh Guacamole:
- Lean Ground Turkey and/or Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Mexican taco sauce
- Ground chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Garlic powder
- Fresh ground salt and pepper
- Reduced fat mexican cheese
- Corn or whole wheat tortillas
- 2 Avocados
- 1 Roma tomato
- Fresh Cilantro
- 1 lime
- Olive oil
- Drizzle a little olive oil in your pan. Brown your ground turkey or chicken. Or if you want both, use two pans. You can grill your chicken in advance then dice up, add a little oil to pan, then continue from here.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin (to taste). We like it spicy.
- Add Mexican taco sauce and a little water. Mix well and turn down to medium low and let simmer.
- Scoop out the avocado into a bowl and mash with potato masher or fork.
- Add juice from 1 fresh squeeze lime
- Add diced Roma tomato
- Add cumin, chili powder, and salt to taste
- Finley chop fresh cilantro and add.
- Mix together. Flavor combines if you let sit in fridge for about 30 minutes.
Serve on warm corn or whole wheat tortillas and top with cheese and guacamole! You can even top with some greek yogurt!
Hope you enjoy this recipe! If you try it on your next Taco Tuesday, please comment or share!!