When I was searching for different recipe ideas to prepare for this week’s meals, I stumbled upon a Zucchini Lasagna Boat recipe that looked delicious. I decided to give it a try. We had this cleaned up and healthier comfort food for dinner last night and it was a HIT! My husband made it a point to tell me that he thought it was delicious.
Here is my recipe for Lasagna Boats adapted from the original:
- 4 medium zucchini (2 1/2 lbs), sliced into halves through the length*
- 1 cup (8.6 oz) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz lean ground turkey
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cup clean tomato sauce (I used this clean 21 Day Fix Approved Tomato Sauce)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a spoon, scoop centers from zucchini while leaving a 1/4-inch rim to create boats. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl stir together ricotta cheese, egg and 1 1/2 Tbsp of the parsley. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. The original recipe also called for 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese but I completely forgot it!. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble turkey into pan, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up when stirring, until browned. Stir in tomato sauce and ;let simmer for a few minutes, remove from heat.
- To assemble boats, brush both sides of of zucchini lightly with remaining 2 tsp olive oil and place in two baking pans (I used a 13 by 9 and a 9 by 9). Divide cheese mixture among zucchini spooning about 2 1/2 Tbsp into each, then spread cheese mixture into and even layer. Divide sauce among zucchini adding a few heaping spoonfuls to each. Cover baking dishes with foil and place in oven side by side and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle tops with remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella (again, cooking too quickly, I mixed the mozzarella cheese into the cheese mixture and cooked all together instead of adding it at the end, still delish!), return to oven and bake until cheese has melted and zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes.
Next time you’re in the mood for some warm and delicious comfort food but want to keep it healthy, try this recipe out and let me know what you think!