We started a new series with our Life Group yesterday by Frances Chan called “Basic.” Actually, it is not new and most of people in our group have done some or all of this series before, but it is gives so much great insights into the foundations of Christian living that we thought it was the right time for us to dive into it again.
The first topic is “Fear God.” You can watch the short film and hear from Frances about this topic below.
You may be wondering what this has to do with Brownies… Well you will have to keep reading!
This week I was able to share my story (as some call- my testimony) with our missional community. It was an amazing opportunity for me to share how Jesus has worked in my life over the past 22 years since I accepted Jesus as my savior. We then watched this video and discussed what it means to us, particularly in the context of the scripture passage presented.
Fear of the LORD is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7
Frances says that the church today has taken the word “fear” and explained it as a healthy respect and reverence for God. But that is not how it is described in the Bible. Those people who encounter God were afraid. They didn’t just have an awe for him. They were afraid when they were in His presence.
BUT God also tells us that we do not need to be afraid.
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you, Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41: 10.
Watch the video. Frances Chan can explain it and teach is so much better and more clearly than I could ever hope to do.
But I truly love this topic. It is so easy for us to say that God is loving, and gracious, because He is. He has forgiven me even though I don’t deserve it and am not worthy. But don’t we often walk through life just living and not thinking about how important that grace through His son- Jesus Christ is to our lives. We don’t deserve it and we have been given this huge sacrifice by God. Think of how powerful He is. We should fear God. We should think about Him and His almighty power every single day- including the fact that He loved us enough to sacrifice His son so we could go on living these lives of ours with the knowledge that we will have eternity in heaven. We should be grateful for that and show it in our actions and rely on God to lead our lives.
So now on to the brownie topic.
I prayed to God (and still do) that He would allow me to conquer the enemy that I face with food. I turn to it when I am stressed, angry, upset, lonely, excited, and more. I felt controlled by food. God lead me to a meal plan and fitness program that I believe changed my life. I still love food. I love to eat. I love sweets, carbs, and so much more, but now I don’t indulge as much as I used to on the “bad” stuff and when I do indulge, I still try to make smarter choices. Enter- Clean Eating boards on Pinterest!
After adding more and more recipes to my board that called for coconut products, I decided I needed to stock up.
I will say that I was very skeptical at first because I have NEVER liked coconut. You know, the sweet white stuff people put on cakes and cookies. But I wanted to try it. So about 9 months ago I started using coconut oil in some of my baking and cooking. I stocked up this weekend with even more ingredients and made my first baked goods using coconut flour. I even got some unsweetened coconut chips because someone fixed a really delicious trail mix at my chiropractor’s office that tasted nothing like the coconut that I always think of.
I tell you all this, because when our Life Group gets together on Sundays, we eat together and share desserts together. I have been so blessed to be able to host this group in my home and share my love for baking with them.
So next time you are looking for something chocolatey and delicious but that isn’t going to wreck your clean eating or otherwise healthy eating, try this
Chocolate Coconut Flour Brownie (adapted from this recipe)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 TBS. organic Coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 TBS. honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup minus 1 TBS. (50 g) coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 cup chopped raw pecans
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (I used Everyday life brand)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line an 8″x8″ glass baking pan with parchment so two edges hang over the side of the pan.(for easy removal and cutting) Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In glass measuring cup, melt coconut oil in microwave. In a large bowl, combine the cocoa powder and the melted coconut oil, and eggs with an electric mixer until combined. Add in the agave (or honey) and vanilla extract. Mix again until combined. Add in the coconut flour and salt and mix again until the batter is thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips. Spread into prepared pan evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack and once cooled to room temperature, remove from pan and cut into 16 squares. You can either refrigerate the brownies or leave them at room temperature in an airtight container.
They were a huge hit and I hope you love them too!